BSG roundup: Service fee increase, April Concert
Brockport Student Government (BSG) began the Feb. 25 board meeting with a presentation by Johnna Frosini, a member of the Parking Advisory Committee who is responsible for Parking & Transportation Services.
She began by asking that the current Parking & Transportation fee be raised from $19.50 to $20.50, which amounts to a $1 increase. It would be implemented at the start of the next school year.
Parking & Transportation is currently run by the Brockport Auxilary Service Corporation (BASC). In order to monitor the quality of service provided, a mystery rider was employed and students were asked to take surveys provided by shuttle drivers and available online. Roughly 1,200 students responded.
With the fee increase, Parking & Transportation Services said it plans to implement a new series of services for the coming school year. Small focus groups will be summoned this summer to give feedback on the possiblity of a new mobile application that would display the times and routes that would be available. Also, additional runs to travel hubs during semester breaks as well as a new service that would allow clubs and organizations to charter busses to destinations of their choosing would be discussed.
Programming Director Nick Morticelli said roughly 1,000 tickets had been sold so far for the spring concert featuring Sammy Adams. When mentioning the upcoming unnamed April concert, he confirmed country and rap artists in addition to a DJ would be on the bill. He also said BSG is working on obtaining a rock band for the event, either Parachute or New Found Glory.
A motion to extend the deadline for earning the required number of club points in order to be eligible for a budget for the coming school year to March 15 was approved.
Service Representative David Babb introduced an idea to break up the reach of off-campus representatives into eight different districts, ranging from Buffalo to Syracuse. Three of the districts were not mapped out at the time it was introduced in the meeting.
Babb stated this idea was an "effort to start the communication process" and was a "step in the right direction."
However, most of the board decided while his initiative was appreciated, it was not the correct time to discuss the matter. Off-campus representatives were encouraged to meet with Babb at a later time to elaborate on this further.
BSG announced Monday, Feb. 25 through social media that programming to replace Brock-the-Port will be held April 27. Details such as the name of the event or specific artists have not been released.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
- Entertainment Review: Good Girl - Julian Moon
- Entertainment Review: "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
- Golden Eagles burned by a flock of Red Dragons
- Lakers get the last SUNYAC laugh
- B-port staff takes on Buffalo Sabres alumni
- Softball unable to slay the Red Dragons of Cortland
- Tee it up at the Brockport Athletic Department Open
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards