Anonymous Twitter user comes forward
Brockport Student Government (BSG) Vice President Brian Witmer has been cleared of charges involving a threatening tweet directed at Stylus Editor-in-chief Cassandra Negley. An unknown person came forward Wednesday, Feb. 20 to take responsibility for the anonymous account that posted the tweet.
The identity of the person is protected by Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Negley was not told who the person is, but an apology letter signed "Sole owner and operator of @LedoggyReptar" was passed on to her by Student Conduct Coordinator Anna Barone.
The tweet, which was from an anonymous account impersonating Witmer's dog, was posted Wednesday, Feb. 13. The tweet suggested someone "break negleys [sic] fingers."
Despite Witmer's assertion he was not responsible for the tweet, Student Conduct ruled he would be held accountable for the threat if the person responsible for the account did not come forward or was not found.
After the person responsible for the account came forward, Witmer wrote in his blog he did not tweet any threats and someone has "answered for their sin."
"The right person manned up and answered for what they did," Witmer wrote in an email. "The whole situation was beyond ridiculous and I'm glad its over. I had literally nothing to do with this, as I initially told Cassie [Negley]."
Barone did not make herself available for comment to The Stylus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
- Police Blotter, 09/04/14 - 09/09/14
- Campus construction creates confusion
- Union Square grand reopening
- Route 3 hours cut back by administration
- Drake hopes to draw faculty interest with new investments
- Girl Scouts breaking math and science stigma
- The new eagle statue and changes to the late night Route 3 bus discussed
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership