Anonymous Twitter user comes forward
Brockport Student Government (BSG) Vice President Brian Witmer has been cleared of charges involving a threatening tweet directed at Stylus Editor-in-chief Cassandra Negley. An unknown person came forward Wednesday, Feb. 20 to take responsibility for the anonymous account that posted the tweet.
The identity of the person is protected by Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Negley was not told who the person is, but an apology letter signed "Sole owner and operator of @LedoggyReptar" was passed on to her by Student Conduct Coordinator Anna Barone.
The tweet, which was from an anonymous account impersonating Witmer's dog, was posted Wednesday, Feb. 13. The tweet suggested someone "break negleys [sic] fingers."
Despite Witmer's assertion he was not responsible for the tweet, Student Conduct ruled he would be held accountable for the threat if the person responsible for the account did not come forward or was not found.
After the person responsible for the account came forward, Witmer wrote in his blog he did not tweet any threats and someone has "answered for their sin."
"The right person manned up and answered for what they did," Witmer wrote in an email. "The whole situation was beyond ridiculous and I'm glad its over. I had literally nothing to do with this, as I initially told Cassie [Negley]."
Barone did not make herself available for comment to The Stylus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
- Career in Sales Can Satisfy an Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Lighting Tips for Your Media Room
- The High Price of Health Care Illiteracy
- More Americans Choose Chiropractic Care: Gallup
- Is the Controversy Around Carrageenan Warranted?
- Limited Space, Big Love: Solutions for Cat Lovers in...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games
- Golden Door Scholars Expands Reach of College Scholarship Program for High-Performing Undocumented Students
- INTRODUCING: PAY YOUR SELFIE™, THE FIRST APP THAT PAYS CASH TO ANYONE FOR SELFIES