Anonymous Twitter user comes forward
Brockport Student Government (BSG) Vice President Brian Witmer has been cleared of charges involving a threatening tweet directed at Stylus Editor-in-chief Cassandra Negley. An unknown person came forward Wednesday, Feb. 20 to take responsibility for the anonymous account that posted the tweet.
The identity of the person is protected by Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Negley was not told who the person is, but an apology letter signed "Sole owner and operator of @LedoggyReptar" was passed on to her by Student Conduct Coordinator Anna Barone.
The tweet, which was from an anonymous account impersonating Witmer's dog, was posted Wednesday, Feb. 13. The tweet suggested someone "break negleys [sic] fingers."
Despite Witmer's assertion he was not responsible for the tweet, Student Conduct ruled he would be held accountable for the threat if the person responsible for the account did not come forward or was not found.
After the person responsible for the account came forward, Witmer wrote in his blog he did not tweet any threats and someone has "answered for their sin."
"The right person manned up and answered for what they did," Witmer wrote in an email. "The whole situation was beyond ridiculous and I'm glad its over. I had literally nothing to do with this, as I initially told Cassie [Negley]."
Barone did not make herself available for comment to The Stylus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More The Stylus News Articles
Recent The Stylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE STYLUS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE STYLUS NEWS
RECENT THE STYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum