Anonymous Twitter user comes forward
Brockport Student Government (BSG) Vice President Brian Witmer has been cleared of charges involving a threatening tweet directed at Stylus Editor-in-chief Cassandra Negley. An unknown person came forward Wednesday, Feb. 20 to take responsibility for the anonymous account that posted the tweet.
The identity of the person is protected by Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Negley was not told who the person is, but an apology letter signed "Sole owner and operator of @LedoggyReptar" was passed on to her by Student Conduct Coordinator Anna Barone.
The tweet, which was from an anonymous account impersonating Witmer's dog, was posted Wednesday, Feb. 13. The tweet suggested someone "break negleys [sic] fingers."
Despite Witmer's assertion he was not responsible for the tweet, Student Conduct ruled he would be held accountable for the threat if the person responsible for the account did not come forward or was not found.
After the person responsible for the account came forward, Witmer wrote in his blog he did not tweet any threats and someone has "answered for their sin."
"The right person manned up and answered for what they did," Witmer wrote in an email. "The whole situation was beyond ridiculous and I'm glad its over. I had literally nothing to do with this, as I initially told Cassie [Negley]."
Barone did not make herself available for comment to The Stylus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More The Stylus News Articles
Recent The Stylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE STYLUS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE STYLUS NEWS
RECENT THE STYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program