Eagles pummel Alfred University for first win
After an impressive 10-3 win over the Alfred University Saxons Saturday, March 3, Brockport men's lacrosse moved to 1-1.
The Eagles traveled to Alfred for their first away game of the season and second out-of-conference matchup. Brockport entered the game with an 0-1 record following a 10-8 loss to Morrisville the previous weekend.
The Eagles opponent, the Saxons, entered with a 1-0 record after beating Roberts Wesleyan 12-9, also in the previous weekend.
The Eagles led at all times throughout Saturday's game.
In the first quarter, Brockport built up a 2-0 lead after goals scored by junior Jesse Elliot at the 2:11 mark and sophomore Riley Austin at the :51 mark.
Elliot and Austin each scored another goal in the second quarter and Clifton Jackson added one of his own, extending Brockport's lead to 5-1 going into halftime.
Although Brockport was winning, the Saxons held an advantage in shots attempted during the first half. They had 23 shots, while Brockport had 11.
The Eagles continued to dominate the Saxons in the second half, where they scored one goal in the third period and four goals in the fourth.
Austin scored Brockport's only goal in the third quarter. Senior Nate Thomas, sophomores Steve Brissette and Keenan Sullivan and Austin were responsible for the fourth quarter goals.
Alfred made just two goals in the second half, both in the fourth quarter, and allowed Brockport to end the game with a 10-3 victory.
The Saxons attempted 18 shots in the second half for a game total of 41. Brockport attempted 13, for a total 24 shots.
Alfred also beat Brockport in groundballs and faceoffs during Saturday's game. It grabbed 23 groundballs and won 10 faceoffs, while Brockport grabbed 22 groundballs and won seven faceoffs.
Both teams tied each other Saturday in turnovers. Each had 19, and committed eight in the first half and 11 in the second.
Leading Brockport in scoring against Alfred was Austin, with a game total of three. Matt Andon-McLane led Brockport in assists with two.
Goalie Cory Banwaree had a total of 17 saves on the day.
Midfielder Nate Thomas said the Eagles went into the game with a lot more intensity than the previous week and had great team chemistry, which was the difference between their first loss and this win.
"We had the best week of practice all year and our defense stepped up big time when they needed to," Thomas said.
Alfred's Stefan Dabkowski, Derek Green and Nicolas Wood each had one goal for the Saxons. Brett Carroll accounted for Alfred's lone assist and Cody O'Connor had seven of nine saves for Alfred. Tyler Beyor and Theo Tomczak stepped in for one a piece of the remaining two.
Brockport will continue game play this week with two matchups. The first at RIT Wednesday, March 7, and the second at home Saturday, March 10 against Clarkson University. Wednesday's game tips off at 4 p.m. and Saturday's game starts at 2 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge