No Brockport hockey players on SUNYAC All-Conference teams
For the first time since the 2005-06 season, no player on the College at Brockport's ice hockey team was named to a SUNYAC All-Conference team.
SUNYAC released its ice hockey All-Conference teams, which consists of three teams with six players each, Wednesday morning. Regular season conference champion and nationally ranked No. 3 Oswego had six players named to the teams, the most of any team in the SUNYAC. Brockport and Fredonia were the only programs that did not have a player named to an All-Conference team.
"I'm disappointed that we didn't place anybody [on any All-Conference team]," Brockport Head Coach Brian Dickinson said. "I'm sure you have some coaches looking at points or picking players from the best teams, so it can sometimes be a crap-shoot when it comes to voting for All-Conference teams."
Coaches from around the conference vote to pick All-Conference teams. Dickinson said that when he votes for conference teams, he looks at more than just points.
"Throughout the year I'm watching how other players are doing," he said. "After games you'll see me talking during handshake lines to get to know other players and coaches. I always make a point to know other players on a personal level."
Dickinson said he was surprised that senior captain Mike Hayward and freshman goalie Jared Lockhurst did not make a conference team.
Hayward was named to the second team All-Conference last season and finished tied for fourth in the SUNYAC this season in defenseman scoring with 15 points. Hayward had four goals and 11 assists in his final season with the Golden Eagles.
"I thought that the way [Hayward] plays and the amount of minutes he plays along with his reputation would've got him another selection this year," Dickinson said.
Lockhurst, who missed seven games this season due to a high ankle sprain suffered against Elmira, was ranked highly on several SUNYAC lists as well. He was fifth in save percentage and sixth in goals against average. Mathieu Cadieux (Plattsburgh) earned the first team selection for goalie, while Kevin Carr (Buffalo State) and Andrew Hare (Oswego) were given second and third team honors, respectively.
"I thought Jared could have been on the third team," Dickinson said. "I think Cadieux was the best goalie in the SUNYAC this season and Carr had himself a great season too, but I thought Jared could have edged out Hare."
Dickinson felt that part of the reason nobody from the Eagles made an All-Conference team was because they missed the playoffs. This marks the third straight season Brockport has missed the SUNYAC tournament. Following Hayward and fellow senior Colby Spooner's departures from the team, there will be no players on the roster that have been to the postseason with the Golden Eagles.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
- Entertainment Review: Good Girl - Julian Moon
- Entertainment Review: "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
- Golden Eagles burned by a flock of Red Dragons
- Lakers get the last SUNYAC laugh
- B-port staff takes on Buffalo Sabres alumni
- Softball unable to slay the Red Dragons of Cortland
- Tee it up at the Brockport Athletic Department Open
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards