Album Review: Paramore
Perhaps one of the most resilient bands still making music is the pop-punk band Paramore. Call it pop-rock, alternative or whatever you like, but fans of the band can agree that its music is fun.
Together for nearly 10 years, the group has seen some changes in music, as well as membership. The band is left with a core three: vocalist Hayley Williams, bassist Jeremy Davis and guitarist Taylor York.
Its self-titled fourth album, Paramore, was released Tuesday, April 12 under the label Fueled By Ramen. Groups such as Gym Class Heroes and Cobra Starship are on this label as well.
Paramore was a shocking album because of the wide spectrum and range of the songs. The album starts off with an upbeat and catchy, energetic song titled "Fast In My Car." The production quality has definitely improved from earlier songs like "Pressure" and it kicks off the album with a bang.
"Now" was the first single released and it has quirky, high-pitched vocals and radical beats with distorted symbols that were reminiscent of the band Be Your Own Pet. The song was a little edgy, with many layers and shifts in mood, but Williams pulled it together with tight vocals.
One of the super fun and playful songs is "Grow Up." It's hard not to move your shoulders to the beat and sing along when William says, "Some of us have to grow up sometimes and so if I have to I'm gonna leave you behind."
It's a song that makes you smile and want to drive with the windows down on a nice sunny day with your friends.
"Interlude: Moving On" sounds old-fashioned, sort of like The Hush Sound, a fellow Fueled By Ramen band. It soundslike playful ukulele and an antique microphone, which proves Williams' voice really grew and how versatile she really can be.
Later in the album, "Interlude: Holiday" has some cute, tongue-in-cheek lyrics. The reference to the label Fueled By Ramen might be seen when Hayley sings,
"And I'm drinking coffee while I/ read the paper I've been/ savin' money/ eatin' only top ramen."
These lyrics are really relatable to a wide audience, which is why each song is so fun and memorable.
Some songs stray from the typical girl-power tone the band usually has, with the song "Ain't it Fun." At certain points, it sounds like a catchy gospel song and the beat was danceable and fun. The song really lives up to its name.
The uplifting songs in this album that will be on your workout mix were contrasted nicely with the slower, more emotional songs like "Hate To See Your Heart Break."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
- Brockport shocked by sudden loss of dance student
- The Pint: Crafting A Nation & Craft Beer University
- RPO takes Brockport on an exotic adventure
- Domestic violence advocate Katz speaks at SERC
- Poster contest endorses positive body image
- Entertainment Review: Somewhere Under Wonderland - Counting Crows
- Entertainment Review: St. Vincent
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!