What's hot and what's not in fall fashion
Fashion is about identity, fantasy, protection and communication. Our fashion personalities influence the way we view ourselves, the people we attract and the roles we play in society. We all look to individuals whose way of dressing is so impactful that we see their clothes, their accessories and the way they put things together as benchmarks for our own personal looks.
Sometimes our fashion muse can range anywhere from a co-worker or friend, to a public figure such as a celebrity or model that we admire.
Surprisingly enough, these fashion mavens that we look up to have their own fashion heroes that inspire their style as well. Your look may be derived from those who have walked the sartorial red carpet before them like, Grace Kelly or Coco Chanel.
Individual style is about adding modern tweaks to a template that has existed for decades. After all, fashion is about as cyclical as anything can get.
Here is a little secret to all of the fashion fans out there: It's never actually "original." If you look through fashion history there are different eras that created new styles in which we still portray through our clothing items today.
My first week at the College at Brockport this semester had me fashionably depressed. Scorching temperatures mixed with pelting sheets of rain, threw off my whole intention of looking "back-to-school chic" - frizzy hair included.
Ladies, I know you feel me.
Now, what I'm about to say might come as a surprise to most of you Golden Eagles out there, but fashion does exist here at Brockport. Hoodies, "Mandals" [man-sandals] and Birkenstocks aside, there are tons of fashion moments to be celebrated at this school, and I'm here to help you find them.
Step up your style game this semester by following my top five essentials, guaranteed to get you through the season looking effortlessly cool:
1. Snap-backs, beanies and baseball caps are seriously hitting a fashion home run this season. Pair your favorite topper with super sleek skinnies, and a bomber to match, or go Rihanna-cool with a slouchy beanie and graphic tee.
2. The fall runways were filled with leather, so it's safe to say that this trend won't be leaving the scene anytime soon. Beat the autumn chills and invest in a leather piece this season by opting for a classic biker jacket, or edgy sleeve detailing. Guys, you can totally join in on the fun too.
3. It's never too early for a 90's revival, and I'm not only talking Zack Morris chic. Just in time for fall, fashion has taken a cue from the flannel-filled decade giving us ripped jeans, Doc Martens and crop-tops galore. Bust out your overalls and knee-high stockings to get your Clueless on this season.
4. One particular trend that continues to creep back onto the runways is camouflage. Perhaps this pattern was revived from the amazing Destiny's Child reunion that took place at last year's Super Bowl half-time show. You all remember the "Survivor" video, right? But this year, designers such as Michael Kors are implementing the resurfacing military trend with a modern-day twist. Go for one bold piece, or wearing the pattern in muted tones.
5. It doesn't matter what frame you buy: It's all about the mirrored lens this season. Whether it's green or red shades, protect your eyes from the blinding rays this fall in style.
Now that you have the tools for a killer fall wardrobe, there are just a few more tips to enhance your look. Start with a solid base layer, while adding bold prints and textures for depth and distinction.
Also, don't forget to load up on accessories. A simple scarf and statement watch always do the trick.
In addition to that, a thigh-high boot is the best way to step into the season with confidence and should always be paired with leggings or jeans. A bold bag for books never hurts either.
If you usually let your outfit take an understated backseat, then let your lips do the talking with a super-saturated pucker. Whether you prefer pretty-in-pink or downtown grunge there is a color for everyone.
Last, but certainly not least, have confidence. Style is a form of expression without having to speak, so no matter what you have on, own it and never be afraid to show who you are.
Finding your own personal style can be tough at times, but if you define who or what you're inspired by you'll have a better grasp on what makes up your fashion DNA. With more and more concentration on the people or things in life that inspire you, you'll come to find that shopping can be a whole lot easier!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists