An anonymous Twitter account threatened The Stylus Editor-in-chief Cassandra Negley Wednesday, Feb. 13.
Twitter user reptar ledoggy (@LedoggyReptar) tweeted at The Stylus, saying "someone please break negleys [sic] fingers and greatly improve the quality of this toilet paper you call the stylus [sic]." The account impersonates Brockport Student Government (BSG) Vice President Brian Witmer's dog, Reptar.
Witmer admitted in a text conversation the account does impersonate his dog, but told Negley Wednesday he didn't have the account password and he was not the one tweeting. He also told Negley he thought approximately six different people had the password and he was looking for who tweeted the threat.
"That was a relatively mild tweet from that account," Witmer texted Negley.
Negley took a screenshot of the tweet, which was deleted later that day, and reported the threat to Brockport University Police (UP), who then questioned Witmer. According to the police report, Witmer told police he neither had the account password nor knew who had it, but said the account may be used by one of his former roommates. The account has been active since Jan. 7, 2012.
"I don't have any wishes to harm Ms. Negley," Witmer told the Student Press Law Center (SPLC), which ran a story about the recent issues between BSG and The Stylus. Witmer also told SPLC the tweet "crossed the line" and he yelled at "eight or nine guys" he said he thinks maintain the account. However, Witmer will be held responsible for the threat and subsequent criminal harassment charge if the account users are not found.
Witmer did not make himself available for comment to The Stylus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
- The StyleList: Summer trends and essentials to make you stand out
- Tips for surviving your college career
- Buffalo Jills sue over mistreatment
- University allowing on-campus drinking to curb incidents
- Smith Says: New bill to allow guns in some Georgia churches and bars
- Preparing for goodbyes with graduation on the horizon
- Movie Review: The Amazing Spiderman 2
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ¿Pensando en la jubilación y el Seguro...
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...