An anonymous Twitter account threatened The Stylus Editor-in-chief Cassandra Negley Wednesday, Feb. 13.
Twitter user reptar ledoggy (@LedoggyReptar) tweeted at The Stylus, saying "someone please break negleys [sic] fingers and greatly improve the quality of this toilet paper you call the stylus [sic]." The account impersonates Brockport Student Government (BSG) Vice President Brian Witmer's dog, Reptar.
Witmer admitted in a text conversation the account does impersonate his dog, but told Negley Wednesday he didn't have the account password and he was not the one tweeting. He also told Negley he thought approximately six different people had the password and he was looking for who tweeted the threat.
"That was a relatively mild tweet from that account," Witmer texted Negley.
Negley took a screenshot of the tweet, which was deleted later that day, and reported the threat to Brockport University Police (UP), who then questioned Witmer. According to the police report, Witmer told police he neither had the account password nor knew who had it, but said the account may be used by one of his former roommates. The account has been active since Jan. 7, 2012.
"I don't have any wishes to harm Ms. Negley," Witmer told the Student Press Law Center (SPLC), which ran a story about the recent issues between BSG and The Stylus. Witmer also told SPLC the tweet "crossed the line" and he yelled at "eight or nine guys" he said he thinks maintain the account. However, Witmer will be held responsible for the threat and subsequent criminal harassment charge if the account users are not found.
Witmer did not make himself available for comment to The Stylus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
- College President John Halstead Announces Retirement
- The StyleList: Summer trends and essentials to make you stand out
- Tips for surviving your college career
- Buffalo Jills sue over mistreatment
- University allowing on-campus drinking to curb incidents
- Smith Says: New bill to allow guns in some Georgia churches and bars
- Preparing for goodbyes with graduation on the horizon
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...