Brockport wrestling pulls double wins
Senior Tyler Marlow earned five of Brockport’s 17 points at the Roger Williams University dual meet Saturday, Feb. 16. The team ended the meet with two wins and one loss. File photo, fall 2010
Despite a lack of pins, the Golden Eagles wrestling team added two wins and a loss to their season total after competing in dual-meet action at Roger Williams University (RWU) in Bristol, R.I., Feb. 16. Brockport faced off against each of the three other teams in attendance and defeated Worchester Polytechnic Institution (WPI), 69-34, and Western New England University (WNEU), 45-6, but dropped a close 21-17 match against the home team in their final match of the day.
The Eagles opened the day's competition against WNEU. The Eagles nearly swept the opposing side en-route to their 45-6 victory. The feat was denied when WNEU managed to steal six points from the Eagles, three of which were earned by a forfeit at the 285-pound class, which Head Coach Don Murray allowed in order to preserve his 285-pound wrestler, freshman Cole Tristram.
"The young man [for WNEU] weighed in at exactly 285 pounds, which is unusual for Division III," Murray said. "Although Cole [Tristram] was anxious to go after him, I didn't feel comfortable throwing him out there since we already had the match locked up and he only weighed in at 212 pounds."
For its second match of the day, the Brockport squad faced off against WPI. The Eagles started off with four consecutive wins out of sophomore Michael Leonard, freshman Jordan Dyer, junior Kristopher Shirley and senior Eliah Golding. Leonard toppled junior Brian Jennings in a 7-0 decision, Dyer beat sophomore Tyler Tilbe 7-1, Golding received a forfeit and Shirley beat freshman Tanner Burke 5-1.
WPI rebounded from the slow start by claiming two of the next three matches. Brockport freshman Aaron Dudley fell to WPI freshman Justin Marsh 3-1, and sophomore Richie Childs was defeated by junior Alex Freilich, 4-2. Nick Joy, a senior at Brockport, separated the two defeats by besting freshman Nick DiLibero, 13-3, at 184 pounds.
The Eagles swept the remaining matches, starting with freshman Matt Lashway, who won a 4-2 decision over sophomore Ted Kostopoulos. Tristram scored the only pin of the night over freshman Peter Salem at the 5:56 mark.
Sophomore Matthias Ellis closed out the competition by receiving a forfeit.
Brockport finished its day on a sour note, however, as they experienced its narrow loss to RWU.
Senior Tyler Marlow earned the Eagles five of their 17 total points by way of a technical fall. Marlow declined to comment.
Also scoring for the Eagles was Dyer and freshman Adam Troy. Dyer secured three points with a 10-4 victory by decision and Troy claimed an additional three with his 5-3 overtime decision.
Brockport also competed against WNEU and RWU at the dual meet. However, results for both matches were not available as of press time.
Brockport will have a two-week break from competition before traveling to Ohio Northern for the Ohio Regional NCAA qualifier March 2. Start time is at 10 a.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thestylus News Articles
Recent thestylus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESTYLUS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESTYLUS NEWS
RECENT THESTYLUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists